4 oz. Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric
Nonwoven Geotextile Drainage Fabric
Among the heaviest of the lightweight nonwoven geotextile drainage fabric options, 4 oz. nonwoven geotextile fabric has some unique properties. It is ideal for projects that need the filtration or erosion control that nonwoven geotextiles are so well known for, but that also need a faster and larger drainage handling capacity.
4 oz. Non Woven Geotextile Fabric Features
- 120 gallon per minute, per square foot flow rate
- 70 US Sieve
- 300 lb. puncture resistance rated
4 oz. Non Woven Geotextile Fabric Benefits
- Water filtered quickly
- Very puncture resistant
- Tolerates high flow areas
4 oz. Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric Details
Nonwoven geotextile fabrics are made from virgin polypropylene fibers. The felt-like texture and filtration properties come from a process that punches the fabric with sharp, barbed needles. The pattern of the needle punches produces a random three-dimensional pore structure that helps provide its sieve and filtration properties. Nonwoven filter fabric is not biodegradable and will last indefinitely once installed underground. Additionally, nonwoven geotextile drainage fabric is UV resistant, pH stabilized, resistant to rodents and insects, and will not rot or mildew. With a permittivity rating of 2 sec-1, this 4 oz. geotextile fabric can process a larger volume of water than many other nonwoven geotextile drainage fabric types.
4 oz. Non Woven Geotextile Fabric Roll Sizes (Sold by the roll or by the pallet):
- 12.5' W x 360' L (4,500 ft²) | 3.8m W x 109.7m L
- 15' W x 360' L (5,400 ft²) | 4.6m W x 109.7m L
4 oz. Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric Specifications
(Equivalent to Mirafi®140NC, Willacooche 400N, Propex Geotex 451, US Fabrics US 115NW, Carthage FX 40HS, Linq 130EX, Skaps GRT 140)
|Property||Minimum Average (Roll)||Test Method|
|Fabric Weight||4 oz./yd² | 136 g/m²||ASTM D-5261|
|Grab Tensile||98 lbs | 467 kN||ASTM D-4632|
|Grab Elongation||50%||ASTM D-4632|
|Trapezoidal Tear||43 lbs |.222 kN||ASTM D-4333|
|CBR Puncture Resistance||300 lbs |1.36 kN||ASTM D-6241|
|UV Resistance||70% | 500 hrs||ASTM D-4355|
|Permittivity||2.0 sec-1||ASTM D-4491|
|Flow Rate||120 gpm/ft² | 6518 l/min/m²||ASTM D-4491|
|AOS||70 US Sieve||ASTM D-4751|
*Unless otherwise noted these specifications are based on testing conducted at the time of manufacturing. For more information on our non woven filter fabric specifications, see our light weight non woven filter fabric specifications .
Mirafi® MSCAPE Geotech Filter Fabric
We also offer our lightweight Mirafi® Mscape nonwoven filter fabric. This geotextile drainage fabric is the perfect for drainage and soil separation for lighter landscaping projects. Our Mirafi® Mscape not only inhibits existing weed growth, but also suppresses any new weed growth. Our filter fabric is designed to withstand environmental problems found in a variety of applications. Easily cut to fit any shape you need with household scissors, Mirafi® Mscape takes the frustration out of installation. Visit our Mirafi® Mscape page for more information.
We offer a variety of weights and tensile strengths of Mirafi® nonwoven geotextiles. Have questions about our Mirafi® nonwoven filter fabrics? Check out our Mirafi® product page.
4 oz. Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric Applications
As one of four lightweight geotextile nonwoven filter fabric options, 4 oz. geotextile fabric is known for its ability to more quickly manage and release volumes of water than many other fabrics. This 4 oz. geotextile fabric also has a high puncture resistance, which is helpful in the installation process and for handling rougher site conditions. Nonwoven geotextile fabrics are commonly used in road construction projects, railroad construction, rip rap, aggregate separation, cushioning for geomembrane, filtration, and wrapping drainage pipes.
The 4 oz. nonwoven geotextile drainage fabric can be ordered as single rolls or by the pallet load for increased cost savings. Choose the type of geotextile nonwoven fabric needed by comparing the specific project requirements to the fabric's specifications. Geotextile nonwoven fabric is available in light weight (3.1, 3.5, 4, 5 oz.), medium weight (6, 8 oz.), and heavy weight (10, 12 and 16 oz.) options.
Use 4 oz. geotextile fabric nonwoven rolls for:
- Road Construction Underlayment: Nonwoven geotextile fabric is great for road construction underlayment for ground stabilization.
- Filtration and Drainage: 4 oz. geotextile fabric is considered a lightweight nonwoven geotextile drainage fabric, making it excellent at filtering stormwater while retaining debris and sediment.
- Underlayment:Erosion Control: When soil needs stability, using 4 oz. non woven geotextile fabric for erosion control will strengthen soil and keep banks and slopes intact, limits the effects of erosion.
- Soil Support: 4 oz. geotextile fabric is great for soil support when using pavers, providing an extra layer of support and leveling the soil's surface.
4 oz. Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric Installation Instructions
The instructions listed below provide a general installation guide for 4 oz. non woven geotextile fabric. If available, site and project specific installation instructions should be utilized instead.
- The first thing you want to do when installing non woven geotextile fabric is to remove any obstructions from the install surface area. This could mean removing stumps, debris, roots, and other items that might tear the nonwoven geotextile fabric.
- Once the obstructions are gone, you can begin to level the install area. Place your 4 oz. non woven geotextile fabric in the pattern that your project plan prescribes and begin to lay the nonwoven geotextile fabric flat.
- Once the nonwoven geotextile fabric is in place, secure the overlapping edges, at least 12-18" at the edges, with landscaping staples. Give special notice to adequately secure the overlapped edges. Depending on the ground soil of your location, a backfill of at least 6" will be required for your nonwoven geotextile fabric.
Need more information on our biodegradable erosion control solutions? See our Erosion Control Line Card.
For assistance with interpreting site-specific plans, and in identifying the right nonwoven geotextile fabric weight for the project, please Contact Us.
Nonwoven Geotextile Fabric Frequently Asked Questions
Is cracking asphalt a problem you are currently facing? 4 oz. geotextile fabric provides an extra layer of support for the asphalt before it is put down. This will add flexibility and stability to the new asphalt road, giving it further use and longevity.